With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and new year behind me, I decided to get back into the swing of things with my favorite post: Friday Five. Today’s five takes a look at the things I am most excited to do and see this year. There is so much happening, like the release of Zootopia, The Jungle Book, and the continuation of Disneyland’s Diamond Celebration, and I don’t want to miss out on anything. So to celebrate all the awesomeness that 2016 has in store for us, here is my Friday Five. Have a wonderful weekend and may your 2016 be magical!
1. Finding Dory – CJ loves Finding Nemo. For a while, we were watching it once a day. She is obsessed with fish. We have to visit the library and mall quite often because they have huge fish tanks, which she happily just stares at for hours. So naturally, we are super excited for the sequel this summer. It is going to be CJ’s first movie in the theater and I couldn’t think of a better film for her to have that experience with.
2. Club Villain – I love special events at the parks. Two of my favorite experiences are Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and the Fireworks Dessert Party. The newest event, Club Villain, might edge its way forward and become my new favorite. New Orleans inspired food and a dance party with Dr. Faciler – sign me up! It is not a cheap event ($99 a person), but you do get a meal, drinks, DJ, and the chance to dance with the most evil Disney characters, so it is definitely worth the price of admission.
3. A Very Special Afternoon Tea – Tea is a big deal in our house. We have daily tea parties and enjoy the most delicious tea (hello, Teavanna White chocolate peppermint!). CJ has been to the amazing Alice’s Tea Cup for tea a few times and loves it. Over the holidays, we even had tea at the Plaza hotel with some of the lovely ladies in our family. So, I am really excited to hear that there will now be an afternoon tea in Disneyland. What a perfect way to enjoy one of our favorite daily rituals when we visit the park.
4. Dapper Day – Dapper Day events at Disney are probably the most stylish, fun, and anticipated non-Disney sponsored ones in the park. Twice a year in the Spring and Fall, people gather in their finest vintage (or simply stylish) clothing and “step out in style” at the Disney Parks. Events are held in Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris. This is not a cosplay event. Rather, this meetup encourages visitors to dress in their Sunday best and spend the day in the parks, dressed just as visitors to Disneyland did in the 1950s and 1960s. When we went in 2014, it was so inspiring to see the gorgeous clothing. People of all ages were participating and it was so fun. It was lovely to not have on a t shirt and shorts and look like we were going somewhere “special.”
5. Celebrating at the Walt Disney Family Museum – As some readers know, I am currently in graduate school at the Fashion Institute of Technology. After many years of part time classes, I am finally set to graduate. I am writing my thesis on copyright authorization and the appropriation of Mickey Mouse in contemporary art. To get some first hand Disney research, and to celebrate finally finishing, we will be heading to my favorite city in the world, San Francisco and visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum. I have been waiting so long to go there and I cannot even explain how excited I am. The idea of finally finishing my program, writing a thesis about a topic that truly means something to me, and visiting the museum is really too much for me to comprehend right now!